Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Hot Bodies TCX... Plenty of purple goodness

I got the Hot Bodies TCX after a crash left me without a car for an upcoming race. Parts for my Kyosho TF-5 were scarce as the car was already in its later years and ordering online would see me receive the parts only weeks after placing the order.

A fellow racer had just upgraded to a new car and offered to me the TCX for a good price. I took the bait and was rewarded with one of the fastest and most reliable on-road car I've driven to date.

The TCX in all its purplish glory beside my Kyosho TF-5.

The TCX was very stable and responded well to tuning changes. Small tweaks could be felt when testing the car's set up, something not many other brands can offer.

I thought the first race with the car would be a learning experience as the meet was just two days after I acquired the TCX but I had such a good outing that I finished third in the A-main. It was the first time I felt that maybe the Kyosho TF-5 had been holding me back and that my skills may have surpassed what the decade-old TF-5 could offer.

I continued to string good results with the TCX and ended the season in fifth in the Hobbywing Justock (Stock 17.5 turn) class.


The belt driven TCX was an improvement in every way, compared to the much older TF-5.

I was going to continue next season with the TCX when the local hobby shop approached me and asked if I wanted to try driving the 3Racing Sakura car. This was the first and only car produced by 3Racing  at the time and I was drawn to the pink theme of the car. Also this was to be my first 'partial sponsorship'... I just couldn't say no.

The TCX was thus handed down to a budding newcomer... a friendly and humble kid who was really into RC at the time but he fell out of love with the hobby a few years later due to politics.

Editors note:
The TCX remains one of my favourite cars to date. It was fast, easy to drive and durable. I never broke a single part during the entire time I owned it. This was a huge improvement from the Kyosho TF-5 which needed replacement parts every few outings.

I would like to consider the TCX as a car I regret losing but 1/10 touring cars are updated so frequently that there was no reason to feel bad about replacing an older model. This, coupled with how brands would discontinue support for a certain car after a few years, meant there was no reason to keep it past its prime. Despite this, I strongly believe the TCX would still be competitive against today's cars.

No comments:

Post a Comment