Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Jumpstarting Brunei's offroad RC scene

I decided to take a break from racing on-road following my issues with the Sakura XI. I had just returned the car and was looking for a something new to drive when my cousin expressed interest in the hobby.

I immediately encouraged it but he wasn't keen on driving on-road. The speed of the cars and the discipline needed to set up and drive them intimidated him. He just wanted to bash so we settled on getting off-road RCs.

We checked out Guan Hock Lee, the local hobby shop, to see what were the active off-road classes at the time. It was quite sad to find out the the off-road RC scene in Brunei was practically dead. The only off-road RC track had not been maintained and the last race held was years ago. This wasn't all bad news though as it meant that we had no need for race spec'd vehicles which are often more expensive and less durable.

I wanted to get another Traxxas Stampede but they did not have any in stock. My cousin settled on a Traxxas E-revo and I went with the more conservative route and got the Kyosho DBX Ve.


 



The DBX was a fun car and a good introduction into Kyosho's offroad offerings. By the end of its run, mine was equipped with MP777 shocks and proper 1/8 tyres. It lacked straight line speed but the lighter chassis and 2S battery set up saw it outperform many 1/8 scale buggies on our makeshift track.

The DBX ve was my first kyosho off-road vehicle and it is responsible for my love affair with the brand til this day. It was fast and drove well. It used pillow ball knuckles so it was an ease to change the set up of the car. The pillow balls do suffer from stripping issues but they were easily fixed with loctite. The car also used soft and flexible parts as it was not designed to race so parts usually just flexed or popped off instead of breaking.

We were running our cars on a beach and this took a huge toll on the cars. The wide area meant we were basically overheating the cars every run and the sand and salty air really punished the drivetrain and everything metal on the vehicles. Still they held up well and we ran them for months with minor issues.

There were only three of us when we first started driving on the beach but we extended the invitation on Facebook and our group grew to twenty cars within weeks. It was clear there was an interest in off-road RCs in Brunei.

The DBX looked beat on paper but it did surprisingly well against its 1/8 scale opponents. I ran it as it was intended with a 2S battery set up. This meant I was slower than all the other cars but it was lighter and more nimble. It was also easier to drive. This saw me consistently top the other drivers and cars when we held small races on the makeshift tracks.

A few months later, tragedy struck my DBX as it got ran over by a truck. The driver was busy talking on the phone and failed to see our makeshift track. There were about eight cars running and mine had to be the one to get run over.

I took this opportunity to go up in scale. I got the gigantic Kyosho Mad Force VE.... and its performance just blew everything I've had in the past out of the water.
My Madforce on the right pictured with my cousin's E-Revo. You can see me trying to fix my issues with the Madforce by trying to fabricate a makeshift diffcasing/arm housing for the car.


Our small group of RC enthusiast grew exponentially within months

The car had its issues though. It was big and heavy and, for some reason, Kyosho designed it with a diff case that was held in place by small plastic joints and screws. I would break these everytime the car had a bad landing. I went through the cases like a hot knife through butter... I was breaking it every run.

It got so bad that I eventually gave up and ordered aluminium parts online. This fixed the issue and made the car practically unbreakable.

Unfortunately within a year and a half, our beach RC endeavours came to a halt as more cars were getting run-over. There was also a pack of stray dogs which appeared overnight and they took joy in attacking our cars when given the chance.

It was time to do something about the abandoned track.



The aluminium diff housing from RC4wd cost as much as the car itself... but it truly made the car unbreakable...

No comments:

Post a Comment